Thanks, Bill Foss, for this:
WORLD OCEANS DAY, JUNE 8, 2014 A DOZEN WAYS TO CELEBRATE IT IN THE BAY AREA
1. Volunteer with Save The Bay at one of several locations, including Palo Alto and Oakland. See www.savesfbay.org/volunteer.
2. Become a volunteer at the Steinhart Aquarium of the California Academy of Sciences or the Aquarium of the Bay. See www.calacademy.org/volunteer.php or www.aquariumoftheboy.org/make-a-difference/volunteer.
3. Attend a free one hour lecture at the Romberg Tiburon Center for Enviromental Studies, SF State’s bayside marine and estaurine research facility. See www.rtc.sfsu.edu.
4. Read the just-published “An Ocean Garden - The Secret Life of Seaweed” by Josie Iselin, a San Francisco resident - a lushly beautiful book of portraits of ocean flora gathered from tidal pools along the California and Maine coasts.
5. Treat yourself to dinner at one of the following restaurants committed to sustainable seafood: Farallon (SF); American Hangout (Pleasanton); Flea Street Cafe (Menlo Park); John Ash & Co. (Santa Rosa); Fish (Sausalito) and Gather (Berkeley) or other such restaurants listed as Bay Area Seafood Watch restaurant partners at www.seafoodwatch.org.
6. Become a volunteer at the Marine Mammal Center in Sausalito. See www.marinemammalcenter.org/get-involved/volunteer.
7. Sign up to receive to Baykeeper’s E-Newsletter at www.baykeeper.org/news/e-news.
8. Bookmark and regularly visit H2O Headwaters to Ocean, the blog of the Bay Institute. See www.thebayinstitute.typepad.com.
9. Sign up for one of the Volunteer Opportunities at the Olema Headquarters of the Turtle Island Restoration Network, an advocate for the world’s oceans and marine wildlife. See https://seaturtles.org
10. Adopt an auklet on the Farallon Islands. See www.pointblue.org/help-theenvironment/ support-us/adopt-an-auklet/.
11. Join the restoration of Bolinas Lagoon effort of the Farallons Marine Sanctuary Association. See www.farallons.org/volunteer/index.php.
12. Short of time? Make a donation to any of the organizations mentioned above.